Downsides of TypeScript?
I love Typescript and enjoy using it. However, it's not perfect and has its downsides.
Some downsides of Typescript (based on my experiences and what others have shared):
- another thing to learn
- more code boilerplate, especially for 3rd party libraries (glares at Redux)
- installation costs initial time (but it makes up for it later with the type safety)
- npm modules without typedef are difficult to work with TS
- it only starts to pay off once your codebase gets larger and complex
- the resources are scattered in multiple places (no universal, comprehensive resource like MDN; I find the Typescript handbook lacking)
- slower compile/build time
I most likely will use Typescript for most of my projects from here on, unless a third-party library has no type definitions or doesn't work well with it.
This post only expresses my thoughts and opinions (based on my limited knowledge) and is in no way a substitute for actual references. If I ever make a mistake or if you disagree, I would appreciate corrections in the comments!